Ancient cultures have long taught that our bodies have many more senses than just the 5 senses which we are taught about. Why is it that being around certain people can make us feel uncomfortable and yet there are other people we feel wonderful being around? How is that we can sense moment without seeing or feeling any signs of movement. Why is it that you can still see your hand pass across your face when in a totally dark room even with your eyes closed?
In 1991 Dr Armour at the Heartmath Institute discovered that the heart has it’s own brain. He found the heart has around 40,000 neurons which are like the neurons that are found in our brain which means that our heart has its own nervous system. He also found that the heart communicates neurologically, biochemically, biophysically, and energetically with our brain. Heartmath studies have shown that the heart sends more signals to the brain than the brain sends to the heart. The heart has an electrical field which is 60 times greater in amplitude than the brain. The heart’s magnetic energy is 100 times greater and can be detected up to 3 feet away. So, does this mean our heart really does rule our head? I believe that it’s only a matter of time before modern science has the equipment capable of verifying all of the other senses that the ancient cultures have known about for thousands of years.
If our bodies have more than 5 senses and we are listening to the messages that our whole body is sending, not just listening to our brain what difference could this have on our lives. Imagine you are driving your car and the oil warning light comes on what would you do? Your head might say that the engine seems to be running just fine. But most people would still check the oil level to see if the engine needs an oil top-up. They know that ignoring the oil warning light is running the real risk of seriously damaging the engine. But when it comes to paying attention to all the signals that our bodies send us many people only pay attention to what is occurring in their head. The head however represents approximately only 10% of the human body so wouldn’t you want to use the data from the other 90% of your body to make more informed decisions?
Some people can get caught in a seemingly an endless story loop of related thoughts which are constantly playing in their head. It can often seem a bit like a dog running around trying to catch it’s own tail. They are aware their thoughts are somehow holding them from moving forward with their life but just can’t see a way forward.
When coaching a person whose focus may be very much in their head, I ask them if they are willing to do an exercise which will help take their focus off their mind and put it on to their whole body. What happens next can be truly amazing for them, when they start listening to their whole body new feelings, thoughts and ideas have the opportunity to bubble to the surface. Using what surfaced they are able to start to map out steps that will have them on the path they want to head.
Please feel free to reach out to me.